Saturday, July 29, 2017

My Visit to Washington, D.C.!

Hey everyone! How is your summer going? I have been going to libraries across the state teaching kids, adults, and teachers all about my platform, the Kid Governor program, what I’m doing as Kid Governor, and how you can help.  Look out for a blog post on my Summer Library Circuit later this summer! I will also be making my presentation on responsible pet ownership to send into all the schools of Connecticut very soon.

Me in front of the United States Capitol in Washington, D.C.!

I recently visited Washington, D.C. to meet with Connecticut’s congresspeople about my platform of Helping Animals, Those Without a Voice and to learn about proposed bills in Congress that impact animals. It was amazing to see the U.S. Capitol and the White House for the first time ever! I also got to see the Hart Senate Office Building, which is where U.S. Senators Chris Murphy and Richard Blumenthal work. I was able to meet with both Sen. Murphy and Sen. Blumenthal to learn about their jobs in the Senate and the issues they care about. They were excited to learn about my platform and share why they think animals deserve a voice!


I met with Sen. Chris Murphy (top) inside the U.S. Capitol and Sen. Richard Blumenthal (below) in his office on Capitol Hill. 

I also got to meet with my U.S. Representative, Rosa DeLauro, who is incredibly inspiring. She told me to “fight for what you believed in; not with fists, but with knowledge.” She, too, is an animal lover and has worked hard to speak up for animals. It was an awesome experience!

I met with Rep. Rosa DeLauro (above) in her office on Capitol Hill to discuss my platform.

While I was in D.C., I also met with staff from the Humane Society of the United States and the Humane Society Legislative Fund. They gave me a tour of their office and told me all about the legislation they are supporting and working on. They even knew about Senators Blumenthal and Murphy and Representative DeLauro because they are strong advocates for animals in Congress! The people we met with were very passionate about helping animals and are giving animals across the country a voice.

Meeting with staff from the Humane Society of the United States and the Humane Society legislative Fund in their national headquarters. 

You can see more photos from my trip to Washington, D.C. and Capitol Hill at facebook.com/CTKidGovernor and twitter.com/CTKidGovernor.

In other news, I would like to give a shout out to 11 year old Sahara Behpour, who organized an animal awareness day at her local Stop & Shop on Sunday, June 25. Sahara raised $360.79 along with many donations of cat and dog food, toys, treats, pet carriers, used towels, and blankets. She gave it all to her local animal food bank. Her act of kindness is helping so many animals. Way to go Sahara! Keep doing all the great work that you do for animals in Connecticut.

Anyone else who is doing good things – even just donating a dollar or a can of food to an animal  shelter or pound – make sure to email me all the great things you’re doing! You can contact me at CKGJessica@KidGovernor.org and I’ll give you a shout out right here on my blog. I can’t wait to hear from everyone. Have a great day, and keep helping those without a voice!


Your Kid Governor,


No comments:

Post a Comment