Thursday, May 25, 2017

Helping and advocating for animals this spring!

Hey Everyone!

I've had a busy spring working on my platform Helping Animals, Those Without A Voice. I'd like to tell you what I've been up to!

A few weeks ago, I went to Pet of the Week at Fox News with Susan Wollschlager from the Connecticut Humane Society. The featured pet was a puppy named Scotty who got adopted right away! What a great way to get animals adopted. I also had the chance to share my platform with the host, Erika Arias, and viewers. You can watch our video below. 

I also visited the CT Humane Society in Newington, and met some cool dogs and cats. I also learned some really cool facts about animals, like did you know that cats only meow to people and not other cats? I met Executive Director Gordon Willard and spent time with Elizabeth Timpe, their Community Outreach Manager, learning about the animal educational programs the Humane Society does.



In April, I went up to the State Capitol in Hartford on Animal Therapy Day. They were having a press conference about a bill which they wanted to make into a law. It was about allowing animals in court to help children who are testifying. Tell me if you would vote yes or no on this bill. I had fun but learned an awful lot, too.

I also held a collection drive at my school and we collected over 500 items and $140.00 dollars that we donated to my local pound. Fun fact: we donated $50 dollars a few months ago and it helped a dog who needed eye surgery. Now Daisy the dog has been healed and adopted. Give a big huge cheer for Daisy winning her fight and my school for helping Daisy get better and find a new home.



Did your school hold a collection drive this spring? Email me how your school did, and you can get a shout out in one of my blog posts! Just email me at CKGJessica@kidgovernor.org.

Keep up the great work guys! Lets continue to help those without a voice!

Your Kid Governor,

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete